To ensure that your teeth are in the best shape possible, you have to floss and brush your teeth at least twice per day. Unfortunately, thorough at-home dental care is not enough to prevent all the accumulation of plaque and tartar on your teeth. As part of caring for your oral health, you also have to schedule regular professional teeth cleaning sessions to remove plaque and tartar completely. Our hygienists will recommend the ideal frequency based on your individual needs for your optimal dental health.
Whenever you eat or drink something, a layer of bacteria called plaque forms around the enamel of your teeth. After only 24 hours, the plaque hardens to form tartar. The bacteria trap the sugars in your diet and convert it into acids. Since these acids are in contact with your teeth, they erode the enamel and this can lead to tooth decay.
If you allow tooth decay to set in, the erosion of your teeth enamel can cause cavities in your teeth, which can be painful and harmful to your health.
Tooth decay and the subsequent forming of cavities is only one consequence of plaque build-up. If you don’t regularly get professional teeth cleaning, tartar can accumulate on your gum line. Since tartar is a hardened layer of bacteria, it can cause gingivitis, which is a gum infection. This can affect your overall health in addition to our oral health.
Even though gingivitis can be an incredibly painful condition, many people don’t seek treatment in the hope that it will go away. The infection can then reach a chronic stage and lead to periodontitis, which is the disintegration of the tooth structure. In many cases, periodontitis can lead to tooth loss.
By thoroughly brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing at least once per day, you can reduce the risk of obtaining these conditions. Additionally, if you schedule professional teeth cleaning sessions at least twice per year, you can prevent gingivitis and periodontal disease completely. Our team of dental professionals will be able to advise you in what is best for your oral health.
At Vellore Woods Dental, we provide our clients with comprehensive professional teeth cleaning services. If you schedule a routine dental cleaning with us, you can expect a process that will include:
– A thorough examination of your entire mouth to make sure that there are no abnormalities or potential concerning issues
– The removing of plaque and tartar along your gum line and from the surfaces of all your teeth. We carry the removal out with professional dental instruments
– Deep cleaning of each tooth with a rough paste compound to get rid of thinner plaque layers.
– Extensive flossing to remove debris between the teeth and to check for gum bleeding.
– High-pressure rinsing with a fluoride solution to get rid of loosened plaque and gritty toothpaste.
– Fluoride treatment to strengthen your teeth’s enamel, which usually consists of a gel or paste application. The fluoride will protect your teeth against cavities for several months. Since some people are averse to fluoride, you can choose not to receive the fluoride treatment.
Gum disease can have an incredibly negative impact on your health, hygiene, and lifestyle. The good news is that you can easily prevent conditions like tooth decay, gingivitis, and periodontitis. At Vellore Woods Dental, our dedicated dental team is ready to assist you.
Contact us today at 905-417-5550 to schedule a professional teeth cleaning session.